Donnerstag, 4. September 2014

Carrots with a kick (VeganMoFo #3)


My favourite cookbook...



Recently I have purged the cookbooks in my kitchen. I gave some of them to friends, that kind of book that was lovely to look at but I never made any recipes from. Now I have only books left that I made at least two recipes from.
There is a bunch of cookbooks that I love especially: I bought them in Algeria or my husband brought them from family visits. ("What should I bring home from Algeria?" -"A new cookbook!")
They have no fancy photographs, expensive ingredients or witty writing. It's just recipes. They represent Algeria so well, a lovely country with down-to-earth people. No fuss, just good food.
This recipe is a real keeper: Very tasty, spicy and cheap. Carrots are always in seeason!

Carrots and garlic, it is that simple...

You'll need:
1 pound of carrots, cut into rounds (not to thin, about 5 mm)
5 cloves garlic, minced
4 tablespoons canned tomatoes (or 1 grated tomatoe, as in the original recipe)
1/2 teaspoon cumin
2/3 cup vegetable broth
salt, pepper
1 teaspoon harissa, or more, if you like it very spicy
2 tablespoons canola oil

Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium high heat, add carrots, tomatoe, garlic and 1/3 cup of broth and saute for 5 minutes. Add cumin, the rest of the broth, salt, pepper and harissa to taste and cook over medium-low heat until the carrots are tender. Serve with potatoes and a salad.
Leftovers are a wonderful addition to your lunchbox the next day.

Don't be afraid to add some Harissa!


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen